Thorogood Work American Heritage Moc Toe – after 1 year:
After I saw the very comprehensive article fromThomas – Denimhuntersabout the Thorogood Union made American work boots I decided to take some images of this boots I use now for 1 year at work. Thorogood / Weinbrenner boots are widely unknown in Europe and for a retail price of about 280 Euros hardly used/abused on work.
They have performed very well during this time. Getting hit by raisin and paint they get cleaned with aceton or sandpaper on a regular basis. Probably the resoling will be the first reason for a “repair” so no complaint by me and a real recommendation if you get them for a good price from the USA.
Here images of the boots after 3 month or when they were new.
Thorogood Moc Toe boots heritage 6 wedges model. (ID 814-4200).
First of all I was always concerned about boots with the white vibram sole, regarding the grip, look, comfort and the durability. So when I found a real cheap offer in the States for about 70 USD (50 Euro) I could not avoid to give them a try. I checked some reviews about the Thorogood heritage boots from Weinbrenner and ordered them.
A little after a week of wearing them I can say the following:
– it’s not a real Moc Toe as other manufactures do, the rim is just “folded” and not of 2 pieces of leather. Have a look at image 4.
– the leather is quite “soft”, so no real break in.
– they smells a bit of rubber not 100% leather and glue (this might come from the insole)
– my concerns about the white vibram were wrong, it’s extremely comfortable (did not try it on mud yet)
– on the right shoe, the first hook on the left is not in line to the other side (it might be the reason this pair was so cheap – could be B-Ware) speaking of about 5 mm.
– the shock sole might add to the comfort but I think of changing it to a leather one
– compared to the sizing of Red Wings I would say they are a little bit smaller and less wide (10,5 US – D)
So overall I’m quite happy, and I would say it’s a real bargain. If you are in the States or Canada or doing a trip over there, give them a try. I will post some Images in some month as
a reverence of how the break/wear in.