Take the time to watch this incredible Video about Bread & Butter, thanks Tim for sharing this gem with me/us.
Bread Porn – homemade
I often hear “you must have time to bake your own bread” (all the time). But basically it does not take more that getting in a car, driving to a bakery, waiting in the queue and driving back. And there are other things which are also essential to me.
– the absolute knowledge what ingredients have been used (ok let´s assume you know what you bought)
– the smell in the house of fresh bread
– the joy of looking at the bread rising and darkening
– the sound of the cracking crust while the bread cools down
– the first cut trough the bread and eating it with just some butter + salt
– cutting the loaf in 4/4 and sharing at least 2/4 or 3/4 of it with your family and friends
– seeing their joy when they got a warm piece of the bread and sometimes getting something back in exchange.
Just go through the no knead bread recipe but i will describe the routine quickly how I do it.
– grabbing a bow, putting in the yeast, salt, water and flour, mixing it and let it rest until the next morning
– hopefully the yeast has blown up your dough, stir it again, put in about 2 spoons of flour and turn the dough a bit (or leave it, if you want to have a shiny surface on the crust). Switch the oven to 250C and put in the pot and the cover.
– after about 30 minutes (or up to 1hour) the pot is hot enough, throw in the dough and close it with the cover.
– open the cover after about 45 minutes (up to 1 hour is also ok) @ 250 C, switch down to 220 C
– after about 15 minutes or up to 25 minutes get the bread out of the oven and put the loaf out of the pot.
So it´s just about 10 minutes to prepare YOUR BREAD, Have a nice day!
Hubertus Connoisseur pocket knife:
Another great addition to my knife collection. The Hubertus pocket knife has no special product name but I would name it Connoisseur or Gentleman knife. It got all the essencial tools to “survive”. A knife blade, a fork, a corkscrew and a cap opener. No need for a tin opener – who want´s to eat out of tin/cans, anyway. You can argue that “who needs a fork” (use the tip of the blade) or “who needs a cap opener” us the back of the blade but that is why it´s the gentleman knife. It got style, I hope its owners too. The locking mechanism of both parts is very clever and well/solid designed. By opening the fork you unlock both parts. Very nice in design, the brass parts look great with the steel and the black bakelit. There is are also antler or wooden versions of this knife. Thanks David for this nice gift – travel save! Check the Hubertus Solingen knife page.
In butter roasted bread slices with Nutella and banana:
This breakfeast / breakfast is in my mind since days.
What you need is two slices of bread, butter, a banana and Nutella.
Heat the pan, and put in a lot of butter (the bread will soak it up quite well) and let it brown a bit (for the aroma). Then roast the bread slices until they are brown on both sides.
Now it´s time to heat up the banana slices a bit (also for the aroma). Nutella on the bread and top it with the banana slices. Eat it before it gets cold, nice butter flavor, crisp bread and a strong banana taste. What a great breakfast.
Ah – do not even think about the calories – don´t blame butter/fat or carbohydrates if you happen to be too fat – blame yourself for being too lazy ;-)
Life is too short to count calories and eat with 2nd choice ingredients.
Barbecue with the lads at the lake:
It could have been a manly and cool barbecue but the bloody sunset ruined everything.
Luckily after 1 hour the sun was finally gone and full attention was on back on the fire. All we needed was there, cold beers, steaks, nürnberger, bread, a fire and a grid. Priceless!